Vermilion is recognized for its festivals and community events. The Woollybear Festival is a one-day gathering that draws over 150,000 visitors to our city and includes the longest parade in Ohio. The Festival of the Fish, held each June, is a three-day event drawing visitors to take part in our celebration of the sea.Historic SummerFare - Antiques, Collectibles & Artisans in the Park brings thousands of visitors for the annual car show, street dance and Antiques in the Park. Hundreds of athletes and spectators descend upon Vermilion to compete in the Vermilion Harbour Triathlon/Duathlon each year.
Third Thursdays provide an array of live music for your listening enjoyment in several different locations throughout town. The Vermilion Farmers Market offers locally grown produce and products, local cottage industry products, art, and local crafted items. Thousands of muscle cars, hotrods, vintage and custom trucks, ‘vettes, vans, motorcycles and more take part in the area's largest, Annual Car Show each August at Vermilion Reservation.
Watch as the roads and walks along Vermilion's Main Street fill up with bright chalk drawings created by local artistic talent at Chalk it Up! Outdoor movies and concerts are offered all summer long. Christmas in July celebrates winter in summer with Santa arriving by riverboat. Santa returns by way of the Christmas tree ship, Vermilion's re-enactment of the 1887 Rousse Simmons, in December.
Celebrate Pioneer Days with food, an open fire, crafts, demonstrations, music entertainment, and touring the historic Benjamin Bacon Homestead of 1845. The Annual Vermilion Ice-A-Fair is a day-long winter event for the entire family filled with glistening sculptures, ice carving demos and more! Art shows are planned throughout the year.
Additional events include Scavenger Hunts, the Annual Chocolate Festival, the Annual Gardeners Fair, the Annual Duck Dash 500, the Vermilion River Watershed Open House, and much, much more.
Vermilion is located on the Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail, the Wing Watch & Wine Trail, the Back Roads & Beaches Bike Route, the Lake Erie Circle Tour and the Shipwrecks & Maritime Tales of Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail. The area's largest vineyard and winery is located on Vermilion's South Side.
The Arts Guild features rotating exhibits of a new Artist of the Month, as well as special art shows and events. A wealth of art galleries abound in the Harbour Town district. The Vermilion Community Music Association, which features the Community Band, Community Chorus, and the Wind Jammer Dance Band, provides professional music services to numerous events throughout the year. The Vermilion Opera House, built in 1883 in the Vermilion Town Hall, is being restored to house a premier performing arts center featuring high quality touring performers, local theater, music and community events. Ritter Public Library, which is the jewel of our community, provides cultural events, plays, speakers, book clubs, and educational programs to all levels of our community. Meeting and housing space is provided for the many non-profit activities and events in town.
Vermilion River Reservation is home to the the picturesque Bacon House Museum at Mill Hollow. Walk through the original settler Benjamin Bacon's house, built in 1845. The museum features themes of daily living and puts an emphasis on the community life, including the profound effect the railroad had on the economy and on people's lives.
The Vermilion News Print Shop Museum, former home of Vermilion’s weekly newspaper 1905-1964, houses two linotypes and four letter presses as well as a collection of Vermilion photographs, signs, and other materials. The Vermilion Area Archival Society stores and indexes archival materials for research from the Vermilion area and provides assistance, as well as monthly programs, regarding the history and records of the area.
tall trees and a split-rail fence, you can't miss the picturesque Bacon
House Museum and Carriage Barn at Vermilion River Reservation's Mill
Hollow. Walk through the original settler Benjamin Bacon's house, built
in 1845. The museum features themes of daily living and puts an emphasis
on the community life in Brownhelm, including the profound effect the
railroad had on the economy and on people's lives. The museum is
located at 51211 N. Ridge Road in Vermilion and is typically open on
Sundays during during the Spring and Summers and during special events
during the Fall and Winter. Call for more information.
1817, Benjamin Bacon settled with his family along the top of the
cliffs overlooking an oxbow in the Vermilion River that would eventually
be called Mill Hollow. Soon afterwards, and at an early age, Benjamin
was elected to the prestigious position of Justice of the Peace, and in
1824 was selected as one of the first commissioners for Lorain County.
In 1835 he purchased an interest in a saw and grist mill that had been
relocated to the oxbow in the river. A mill race was cut across the
oxbow to increase the water power that turned the mill’s large water
wheel. The mills were very successful and by 1845 had provided Benjamin
the means to build a nice house across the road. When he died in 1868 at
the age of 78, the house and mills were sold to John Heymann, a German
immigrant new to the area.
Bacon was born in 1840, the youngest son of Benjamin and Anna,
Benjamin’s third wife. In 1860, he enlisted in the Union army and fought
in the Civil War for four years, after which he returned home to his
wife Abigail (formerly Abigail Wells) and started a family in
Brownhelm. In 1879, John Heymann sold the mills to Frederick Bacon.
They’d been modernized with steam power after a fire destroyed them in
October of 1876 which started after the close of business. Frederick now
not only owned the mills, but also owned land in Geauga county and coal
fields in Iowa. This diversity was very fortunate because with the
advent of the railroad, fewer farmers needed to mill their grain locally
and many local residents weren’t even farmers, but rather worked at the
sandstone quarries instead. By 1901, the mills were no longer
profitable and had to be sold and dismantled.
and Abigail had nine children, seven of whom never married. After
Frederick’s death in 1901, his children continued to farm the river
valley. By the late 1920s, only Sarah and Charles remained, and the
house was rented to several people for decades until Charles’ death in
1957. Dorothy Bacon DeMuth, a distant cousin, inherited the property and
donated it to the newly formed Lorain County Metro Parks. The Vermilion
River Reservation became the first park in the Lorain County Metro
Parks. The Bacon House was opened as a house museum in 1962 with the
help of the Lorain County Historical Society. Today, the house is open
Sundays and Holidays, Memorial Day to Labor Day, and scheduled private
tours throughout the year.
Spanning two adjacent areas separated by the Vermilion River—Mill Hollow on one side and Bacon Woods on the other—Vermilion River Reservation is a favorite of picnickers, naturalists and anyone who just wants to enjoy its natural beauty. Just next to the Bacon House Museum, the Carriage Barn offers visitors information about the park and hosts nature programs. Vermilion River Reservation is located at 51211 North Ridge Road, just 4 miles south of downtown Vermilion, by the intersection of North Ridge and Vermilion Roads.
The Vermilion News Print Shop Museum, in Downtown Vermilion, served as a print shop and a weekly newspaper from 1905 to 1964. The print shop houses two linotypes (c.1915), and 4 letter presses: A Stonemetz 2 revolution newspaper press (c.1919); a Kelly press (c.1917); a Chandler & Price 8"x12" Gorden Jobber Press (c.1900); and a Heidelberg windmill Press (c.1954). There is a book bindary and storage room with a manual paper cutter, electric stapler, and a manual hole punch machine.
The building was built in 1904 by Caselton Roscoe of Milan, Ohio for his son and daughter-in-law, Pearl and Bessie Roscoe, to house the business. There is an apartment above the shop where the Roscoe's lived and raised their two daughters. Today the apartment has become part of the museum featuring historical artifacts from the printer's family, as well as those from Vermilionites of the past.