Erie County and Vermilion City have passed legislation for a lodging tax that applies to all property rentals under 30 days. This includes cottages, condominiums, rooms and all other vacation rentals. The tax for Erie County is 4% and a 3% tax for Vermilion City. An example would be if you rented your property for $100.00 you would owe Erie County $4.00 and Vermilion $3.00 in tax. To comply with these legal requirements and to pay your taxes, please follow these steps:
2. Register your rental property with the Erie County Auditor’s Office. The registration form link is located on the website under Hotel Lodging Tax when you click “Registration form PDF”. Fill it in and send it US Mail, or email it to the office so it can be set up with your rental account number. This is specific to your taxing district location. You will need to know this account number when you pay your taxes on the lodging tax website. Your account number will be emailed to you. There is NO cost for registration with Erie County.
3. From the website screen above, click on “Erie County-Localgov-Tax-User Guide” and it will help you put the correct data into the registration for Localgov - the tax collection software in the next step below.
4. See “Click here to register your business” or go to https://lata.localgov.org/. You will enter preliminary data and it will send you an email link to activate your account. If you have multiple rental properties, you only need one registration and can add multiple properties under one login.
5. Taxes are due after the end of a month or quarter. Log into https://lata.localgov.org/ to submit your tax payments via credit card or bank ACH. Click on the Tax Forms Tab and click on Erie County. If your property is located in Erie County please select the City of Vermilion (18) City and Erie County Lodging Tax Return form. If you are located in Lorain County, select the City of Vermilion-City Lodging Tax Return Lorain County locations form. Prefill will open and you can use the drop down to click your property. Follow the form instructions. Enter your account number provided upon registration, as well as the other required information. You will receive an email confirmation once you submit your filing.
6. Call the Auditor’s office with any questions at 419-627-7746 or 419-627-7743.